THE UPCOMING SPRING 2022 CITIZENS ACADEMY SESSION HAS BEEN POSTPONED AT THIS TIME. PLEASE CONTINUE TO CHECK BACK IN FOR UPDATES ON FUTURE SESSIONS.
About the Academy
Sheriff Fitzgerald's commitment to the citizens of Story County includes making the office more accessible to the public. In the Citizen's Academy, participants have the opportunity to learn about the Sheriff's Office and what it takes to provide law enforcement services to the citizens of Story County. They will gain experience within every division of the office, including a large amount of hands-on learning opportunities. Some of the areas of opportunity provided during the citizen's academy are:
- Sheriff's Office budget and structuring information
- Crime scene investigation
- Firearms safety
- Supervised access to otherwise restricted areas such as the Jail and Communications Center
- Ride along opportunities with the patrol deputies
- Presentations and Q&A sessions with members of the Story County Sheriff's Office's Special Teams (Dive Rescue, Hostage Negotiations, etc.)
- General information on how the Sherriff's Office runs during day-to-day duties
The three-hour classes are held one night a week for 10 weeks. New classes are planned for each spring. There is no cost to participate.
To sign up or for more information on the Citizen's Academy, please contact Sgt. Elizabeth Quinn at (515) 382-7473.
Follow us on