Applications and Permits

Applications and Permits FAQs

Do I Need a Permit?

"Oh, I thought I didn't need a permit for construction if I lived in the country," is a common statement. The fact of the matter is that a Zoning Permit is required for all new construction and any Change In Use of any land or building. Even a portable structure requires a permit and required setbacks from property lines must be met. The application for a Zoning Permit must be completed for the proposed construction along with a site plan and applicable fee.

How Do I Apply?

You may apply online or print and mail in your application and fee. 

The person applying for the permit must be the owner of the property, the contract buyer of record, or representative of the property owner (permission must be given by the property owner in writing). 

Electrical Permits

Iowa State Electrical Permits and Inspections are NOT performed by the county. Please visit State of Iowa Electrical Permit webpage for information on electrical permit and inspections. 

State Sign Permits

In addition to Story County sign permit application requirements, please see the Iowa Department of Transportation sign requirements for proposed advertising signs planned along interstate and primary highways.

I've Submitted a Development Application, What's Next?

From variances to subdivisions, development requests follow different processes. The Planning and Development Department has developed a set of guides for each unique type of development request to provide an overview of the steps involved. 

What is the Cost of Fines and other Fees?

Most fees are listed on the permit applications. For zoning permits, the fee is based on a Valuation Chart.

You can find all fee and fine costs in the following schedules:

Fine Schedule

Fee Schedule