Applications and Permits
Effective August, 2020 we are using online permitting and no longer accept paper applications. To submit building and other permit applications, please use our online portal.
To get started:
- Click here to be directed to our online portal to apply for permits
- Login to create a username and account.
- Apply for your permit.
- Our online payment system is currently unavailable. Payments can be made by phone with a credit card or a check can be mailed or dropped off at our office.
- Make sure to check your SPAM folder for any emails from Citizenserve.com or Storycountyiowa.gov for updates on your application.
To schedule inspections:
- Once you receive your permit and are ready to schedule an inspection, please log back in to your account and request an inspection at that time.
- Login to the Online Portal using the same credentials as when applying for the permit.
- Go to the Services tab on the top right and select “Permits.”
- Click “View your permits.”
- Select the relevant permit number.
- On the left, click “Request an Inspection.”
- Select the desired inspection, date and time.
- Click “submit.”
Common permit applications found on our Permit Portal include: Zoning Permit, Home Business Permit, Change of Use Agricultural Exemption, 911 Address, Road Renaming, Floodplain Development Permit, Special Events, and Grading Permit.
Questions about erosion control requirements for your grading project? Find a flow chart here.
Questions about erosion control requirements for your building project? Find a flow chart here.
To submit development applications, please use our online portal. Click here to be directed to our online portal to submit development applications
Common development applications found on Permit Portal include: Conceptual Review Application, Property Research Application, Conditional Use Permit or Modification, Other Board of Adjustment Applications (Variance, Waiver, Appeal of Director’s Decision), Subdivision and Vacation Applications, Amendment Applications (Code of Ordinances, Rezoning, C2C Comprehensive Plan).
Applications and Permits FAQs
Do I Need a Permit?
"Oh, I thought I didn’t need a permit for construction if I lived in the country," is a common statement. The fact of the matter is that a Zoning Permit is required for all new construction and any Change In Use of any land or building. Even a portable structure requires a permit and required setbacks from property lines must be met. The application for a Zoning Permit must be completed for the proposed construction along with a site plan and applicable fee.
How Do I Apply?
Starting August 10, 2020 you no longer need to mail, email, or visit our office to submit your permit applications. Click Here To Apply Online
Development Applications will be added soon to our online permitting system
Please call 515-382-7245 or Email us with questions.
The person applying for the permit must be the owner of the property, the contract buyer of record, or representative of the property owner (permission must be given by the property owner in writing).
Iowa State Electrical Permits and Inspections are NOT performed by the county. Please visit State of Iowa Electrical Permit webpage for information on electrical permit and inspections.
State Sign Permits
In addition to Story County sign permit application requirements, please see the Iowa Department of Transportation sign requirements for proposed advertising signs planned along interstate and primary highways.
I’ve Submitted a Development Application, What’s Next?
What is the Cost of Fines and other Fees?
You can find all fee and fine costs in the following schedules: