Moving from Iowa?

Moving from Iowa to another State?

If you are leaving the state of Iowa, once you have moved and registered your vehicles in your new state of residence, you may be entitled to a refund. Please send your Iowa plates back to the County Treasurers office where you last registered, along with a copy of your new out of state registration and a completed Claim for Refund form found below. Refunds for less than $10.00 will not be refunded.

Even though you will not be entitled to a refund, we recommend you return your Iowa plates to the County Treasurers office where you last registered. Please include a short note explaining why you are returning your plates. This will end your responsibility for your plates.

Please call the Story County Treasurers office, 515-382-7340 to ensure you have all documents, signatures, and information necessary to process your refund and/or disposition of plates.