Checklist for Recording Documents
To help us record your documents faster and more efficiently, we recommend that you follow these guidelines:
- All documents must be legible and reproducible (Iowa Code Section 331.602(1) ). This may be a judgment made by each recording office; however, faxed documents are usually not acceptable. Type should be large enough and dark enough to obtain a good copy. Illegible documents will be returned unrecorded. One-sided documents are preferred. Please use white paper only as colored paper does not copy well.
- Check to make sure that you have enclosed the correct recording fee and / or transfer tax and make all checks payable to "STORY COUNTY RECORDER." If a Declaration of Value and / or a Groundwater Hazard Form are required, make sure that they are completed and signed, with phone numbers included.
- Clearly indicate where the recorded documents are to be returned. A self-addressed stamped envelope is always appreciated.
- Do not use the legal description found on the tax statement. It is only an abbreviated description.
- Effective January 1, 2000, each document of conveyance, including a change of title, must contain the statement: "Address Tax Statement to: (An appropriate name and mailing address of the taxpayer)." This statement must appear immediately below the preparer's information (Iowa Code Section 331.602(1)).
- Effective January 1, 2002, all notaries public commissioned by the State of Iowa must use a stamp or seal with their commission number and the expiration date of their commission.
- Effective July 1, 2002, the preparer of a document is prohibited from including an individual's federal Social Security number on any document that is to be recorded in the county recorder's office.
- If the deed is exempt from transfer tax, the correct exemption pursuant to Chapter 428A.2 must be typed on the face of the deed.
- Mail all documents to:
Story County Recorder
Nevada, Iowa 50201-0055
- For overnight or express letters, the address is 900 6th Street. Documents are accepted for recording until 3:30 PM daily.
- Make sure that all documents are dated, signed, and sealed (if required). Type - or print legibly - names under signatures. Only documents with original signatures will be recorded.
- A minimum of 3" of white space is required at the top of all documents. Immediately below this space must be typed the name, address, and telephone number of the individual who prepared the document. Effective 7/1/2009 (331.606A and 331.606B).