Cold War Certificate
As of April 5, 1999, qualifying former and current service members and Department of Defense (DoD) civilians can apply for a certificate honoring them for their parts in winning the Cold War. If you qualify, get your certificate using the following methods:
- Apply via email
- Apply by fax at (703) 275-6749
- Apply by mail to Cold War Recognition at:
4035 Ridge Top Rd.
Fairfax, VA 22030
- Apply online
Note: Applicants should be aware they must use fax or mail to submit supporting documents.
Persons are eligible for the recognition certificate if they have military or civilian service with the War, Navy, Defense departments between September 2, 1945, and December 26, 1991.
How to Obtain Civilian Eligibility Certificates
Federal civilian personnel may obtain employment verification or a copy of their records by writing to the U.S. Office of Personnel Management Employee Service and Record Center at:
P.O. Box 45
Boyers, PA 16017-0045
How to Prove Civilian Eligibility
Qualifying civilian service can be proven with the following documentation:
- Award certificate with employee's name, name of service / agency, and dates
- Retirement forms with employee's name, service / agency, and dates
- Standard Form 50 (Notification of Personnel Action)
- Standard Form 2809 (Health Benefit Registration Form)
How to Obtain Military Eligibility Certificates
To obtain military eligibility certificates, write to the National Personnel Records Center (Military Personnel Records) at:
9700 Page Ave.
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100
How to Prove Military Eligibility
Military personnel can use any of the following documents as proof of service:
- DD Form 214 (Certificate of Release / Discharge from Active Duty)
- Oath of Office (Military Personnel or Letter of Appointment)
- WD AGO Form 53-55 (War Department Separation Document)
Note: Army officials caution applicants not to send original documents because they can not be returned.