Nevada, Iowa -- The Story County Board of Supervisors has approved funding in the amount of $159,200 for six Urban Renewal Area Projects throughout Story County. Five municipalities and one school district will receive funding as a result of this first ever financing opportunity. The six projects to be awarded funds are:
1. The City of Collins: $20,000 for improvements to the city’s new Main Street Community Wellness Center.
2. Colo-NESCO Community School District: $45,000 to assist in the construction of a playground at Colo-NESCO Elementary School in Zearing.
3. The City of Kelley: $10,750 for construction of an enclosure for the city’s mailboxes.
4. The City of McCallsburg: $65,000 to assist in the financing of the city’s water looping project.
5. The City of Roland $6,950 for asbestos abatement of the building that is to be converted to the future Main Street location of Roland City Hall.
6. The City of Zearing: $11,500 for Main Street façade improvements.
These Urban Renewal Area Projects are funded by Tax Increment Financing revenues generated by the wind turbines operating throughout Story County. Each of the six projects will enhance the taxpayer’s enjoyment of the county, as well as increase the taxable valuation of lands within the municipality or school district receiving funding. These funds further emphasize the commitment of Story County’s elected and administrative officials to the community improvement and economic development efforts of the cities and school districts throughout the county.
Director, Story County Community Outreach
Ames Economic Development Commission