Story County Conservation Annual Photo Contest 2023
SUBMIT PHOTOS HERE
Submitted images may show animal behavior, portraits of wildlife in their natural habitat, plant life, natural landscapes, or people interacting with nature. Images will be used to enhance SCC's photo library and encourage people to enjoy Story County Conservation parks and natural areas. Photos entered in categories A and D must be taken in Story County Conservation parks or natural areas.
- All photos must be taken in Iowa. Photos entered in categories A and D must be taken in Story County Conservation parks or natural areas.
- Photographs of non-native plants or animals will not be accepted.
- Photos can be taken using a camera, smartphone, tablet, etc.
- Please do not include portraits of pets or domestic animals. Photos including pets/domestic animals that also include humans are acceptable for Category D. Images of captive animals photographed in game farms will be disqualified.
- This contest is open to amateur photographers only.
- Youth division includes under age 18; adult division includes ages 18 and older.
Photos may be entered in the following categories:
A. Landscape (within Story County Conservation parks and areas--may include structures)
B. Flora and Fungi (photographs of specific plants or fungi -micro or macro)
C. Fauna (photographs of specific animals -micro or macro)
D. Connecting People and Recreation (people enjoying Story County Conservation areas)
Prizes to be awarded for 1st, 2nd, 3rd place, and honorable mention in each category for Adult (18 and older) and 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for Youth (under 18) entries. Special Awards will also be awarded for the Bill Horine Best in Show, the SCC Magnet*, and fan favorite (voted on by Facebook users). *(One photograph may be selected to be used on a refrigerator magnet. Magnet photos are chosen based on the amount of void space available to allow the SCC logo to be present.)
Prizes for each category:
1st Place - $40
2nd Place - $20
3rd Place - $10
Honorable Mention - Story County Conservation merchandise
Bill Horine Best in Show - $50
SCC Magnet - $50
Fan Favorite - $20
Each photographer may submit up to three digital entries—photos may be all in one category or a combination through the online form at www.storycountyconservation.org, or via thumb drive. Photos should be submitted in non-proprietary image formats. Acceptable examples include .jpg, .jpeg, .heic, .heif, .tif, .tiff, and .png. RAW formats should not be submitted.
Contest photos may be submitted Feb. 1 – March 20, 2023. Winners will be notified in April. The photographer retains all rights to the image except for use by SCC. SCC reserves the right not to choose winners in any or all categories.
Photo contest is not exclusive to Story County residents.
Contact Story County Conservation with questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.