Selling Your Vehicle
To process a title transfer please be in our office by 4:30 pm
Procedure For Selling Your Vehicle
Before transferring possession of your vehicle, remove and keep your license plates. You may be entitled to a refund or credit of the unused portion of registration fees.
If you are purchasing another vehicle within 6 months and wish to receive credit toward the registration fees, fill out the bottom of your registration receipt for the sold vehicle and submit it with the title and application for your replacement vehicle.
If you are not replacing the sold vehicle and wish to receive a refund, complete the bottom of your registration receipt with the date of sale and submit both the plates and registration to the County Treasurers Office. Note: To receive a refund, this must be done within six months of selling your vehicle. The state will not issue refunds for less than $10.
After removing your license plates, give the buyer the following:
- Certificate of Title with the assignment portion on the back completed. Please read carefully before marking your responses to the questions. Alterations and erasures will void the title. Remember, the name and signature of the seller must be the same as it appears on the front of the title. If two owners are listed and the word "and" appears to the right of owner number one, then both owners must sign the back of the title. If the word "or" appears to the right of owner number one, then either owner can sign and only one signature is required. (New owner must transfer within 30 days to avoid penalty.)
- A Bill of Sale (PDF) containing, the VIN, purchase date, purchase price, purchasers name, and signature of seller.
- Please contact our office if any of the following situations apply: your title was titled in a trust name, the seller is deceased, you are signing as POA for the seller, or any other unusual circumstances that may exist.
- If the vehicle is currently registered, the buyer can operate the vehicle for 30 days without license plates if they carry in the vehicle one of the following:
- Bill of sale with sufficient detail
- Vehicle title with the assignment of title completed on the back
- Photocopy of both sides of the completed title.