The Iowa Department of Public Health is responsible for the permitting and inspection of public tanning beds and booths located within Story County. Inspections are conducted to ensure that tanning facilities are properly permitted and operated in accordance with Iowa Administrative Code, Chapter 46, and Chapter 38.
OBTAINING A TANNING FACILITY PERMIT
1. Obtain information and study materials from the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) website: IDPH Tanning Facility Information
2. You may contact the Environmental Health Staff at 515-382-7240 or email Health Department between the hours of 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM Monday - Friday to schedule a Certified Operator Test.
- At least one person at the tanning facility must be licensed as a certified operator.
- There is a $25 fee payable to Story County Environmental Health each time the test is taken.
- The Certified Operator Test consists of 75 multiple choice and/or true/false questions. A minimum of 70 questions must be answered correctly to receive certification.
- This test is open book and you may bring the Training Manual for Operators book.
- A Certificate of Completion will be issued immediately after passing the test.
3. Send a copy of the certificate, along with your application (also found at the above website) and permit fee to IDPH.
TANNING INFORMATION, FORMS AND SIGNAGE
IOWA REGULATIONS & CODES