Click to Home
Go To Search
Firearms and Weapons
Firearms and Weapons

Issuance of weapon permits in the State of Iowa. 

The State of Iowa has transitioned from a "may issue" state, in which permits to carry weapons were issued at the discretion of the Sheriff, to a "shall issue" state where permits to carry weapons are granted unless there are circumstances that dictate that the Sheriff deny a permit to carry a weapon. 

How to obtain a weapons permit: 

You must appear in person to the Story County Sheriff's Office, located at: 
1315 S. B Avenue
Nevada, Iowa 50201

The Story County Sheriff's Office issues weapons permit between 8:00AM and 4:00PM, Monday through Thursday.

You must be at least 21 years of age and a resident of Story County with a picture ID(i.e., an Iowa driver's license or Iowa ID card) reflecting a Story County address. 

You will be required to complete the application for a Permit to Acquire form or the application for a Permit to Carry Weapons form; whichever is applicable.  The Sheriff's Office personnel will run the appropriate background checks. Upon successful completion of the background checks, the appropriate fees will be collected.  A fee of $25 will be collected for the Permit to Acquire and will be valid for a period of 5 years. A fee of $50 will be collected for a new Permit to Carry Weapons and will be valid for 5 years. A fee of $25 will be collected for a renewal for Permit to Carry Weapons. When using a credit card or debit card there is an additional processing fee.

Questions regarding weapons permits may be directed to the Support Services Division by calling 515-382-7461. 

Form WP3 (Iowa Residents Only) - For use on or after 09/01/2017. Applications MUST be filed with the Sheriff of the county of residence.


Form WP5- For use on or after 09/01/2017. Applications MUST be filled with the Sheriff of the county of residence (except applications for a Nonresident Professional Permit and applications for a Professional Permit for a state employee whose need to go armed is employment based, which are filed with the Iowa Department of Public Safety).  

Forms can be located at the following: on the DPS's website.


Iowa Permit to Carry Information 
Permit Info