Click to Home
Go To Search
New Residents
New Resident to the State of Iowa?

If you are a new resident to the state of Iowa and have not yet obtained your Iowa Drivers License or Iowa ID, we are requesting that you bring in your valid Social Security Card with you when visiting our office to title and register your vehicles.

All necessary forms may be found at Iowa DOT.
    1. Bring in your out of state title. You will be issued a new Iowa title along with your registration and plates. The title will be issued identical to the existing title, which means signatures from all owners on the face of the current title will be required on our application for title and registration.        
    2. If you wish to change the ownership of your title from the existing out of state title, you will need to follow the transfer of ownership guidelines applicable for your state.
    3. If you have a lien on your current out of state title and the lien-holder holds the title, or have misplaced your out of state title, you will need to bring in your most current out of state registration. You will be issued a non-transferable registration and plates, which means you will not be able to sell, trade, or junk your vehicle in Iowa until you have turned in your out of state title and obtained an Iowa title. The ownership on the Iowa registration will be the same as the ownership on the out of state registration. We must have signatures from all owners on the application for title and/or registration. Ownership cannot be changed when issuing a non-transferable registration.
Please call the Story County Treasurers office, 515-382-7340 to ensure you have all documents, signatures, and information necessary to process your title and/or registrations prior to visiting.