Click to Home
Go To Search


Posted on: February 24, 2017

Replacing Wallet-Sized Birth Certificates

The Iowa Department of Public Health Bureau of Health Statistics has announced the exchange of wallet-sized newborn birth certificates issued from May 1993-October 2009.  During that time, there was not enough vital information printed on the certificates to be used for identification purposes.  This no-charge exchange is only offered for wallet-sized birth certificates issued by the Iowa Department of Public Health during this time period.  This does not apply to certificates issued by the Clerk of Court.

Story County Recorder Stacie Herridge has announced that her office will be providing birth certificate exchange service to the public if the birth was recorded in Story County or if the State has issued the county rights to print the certificate.  If the Story County Recorder’s Office doesn’t have access to the record, they can still assist in obtaining a copy from the appropriate issuing office.   

To obtain a replacement birth certificate directly from the Story County Recorder’s Office, you must be entitled to the record, meaning you are either the person named on the record or a parent, grandparent, sibling, or spouse.  You will need to complete a short application regarding the birth and present a valid, government-issued photo identification.  The wallet-sized birth certificate must be surrendered in order to obtain the no-fee copy.

For questions or additional information, please contact the Recorder’s office at (515) 382-7230.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Home