The County Treasurer's Office is responsible for all motor vehicle transactions. The State of Iowa Department of Transportation directs the County Treasurer as their agent to process motor vehicle transactions and collect appropriate fees according to the Code of Iowa. These include, but are not limited to:
- Transfer of Ownership (title transfers)
- Registration fees (license/plate validation fees), as well as registration refunds, all types of vehicles cars, trucks, trailers and semi-trailers must pay an annual license fee
- Specialty plates issuance
- Duplicate titles, registrations and plates *Notation and cancellation of security interests (liens)
- Storage of vehicles and Junking Certificate issuance
One Trip Pledge
We, the employees of the Story County Treasurers Office, are here to serve you. We will do everything within our power to take care of your title work in one trip. You can help us fulfill this pledge by carefully reviewing the Buyer's Checklist listed in the Treasurer Links section.
If you complete the five steps listed in the Buyer's Checklist (PDF), including the call (complete with the name of who you spoke with), and you feel we failed to do everything in our power (including use of the fax, phone or computer system) to complete your title transfer in one trip, I want to know about it. I will personally travel anywhere in Story County to accommodate any citizen who failed to get the full measure of service they deserve.
|Payment Type||In Person||Online|
|Cash||No Fee||Not Accepted|
|Check||No Fee||$0.40 per transaction|
|Debit Card||$2.00 per transaction||Not Accepted|
|Credit Card||2.25% plus $1.50 per transaction||2.25% plus $1.50 per transaction|