Urban Renewal Area (URA) Projects
The Board of Supervisors formally adopted the Story County Economic Development Process and Policies. The process and guidelines established in this are used by the Board when considering applications to fund.
Please click here to view the revised Economic Development Process and Policies (PDF) adopted by the Story County Board of Supervisors, effective March 2020.
Urban Renewal Plan - Story County Urban Renewal Area
In October 2019, the Board of Supervisors adopted amendments to the Urban Renewal Plan to include projects for the Cities of Cambridge, Collins, Maxwell, Nevada, Story City, Roland, and Zearing,
Please click on the link below to view the current Urban Renewal Plan - Story County Urban Renewal Area.
Urban Renewal Plan - Story County Urban Renewal Area (PDF)
Projects Awarded Funding
Since 2013, the Story County Board of Supervisors has invested nearly $1.45 million in communities and projects throughout Story County through the adopted urban renewal program.
These projects include:
- City of Collins, Iowa – Proposed improvements to Collins Wellness Center for purchase and implementation of new scanner entry system; expansion of programs and services; and additional equipment purchases (County tax parcel number 16-21-160-575).
- Colo-Nesco Community School District – Proposed construction of a community playground and park on three vacant lots located on the corner of N. Center Street and E. Cleveland Street (County tax parcel number 04-21-205-240).
- City of Kelley, Iowa – Construct enclosure around post office boxes (County tax parcel number 09-32-474-600).
- City of McCallsburg, Iowa – Water looping project throughout the community to help improve water quality for residents near existing dead ends, helps increase the flow of water, such as in cases of need for fire suppression, and also help create a secondary supply of water in cases where a water main line needs to be shut down in a certain area (such as a water main line break).
- City of Roland, Iowa – Removal and disposal of asbestos containing materials on property located at 218 North Main Street. (County tax parcel number 02-14-360-340).
- City of Zearing, Iowa – Building purchase and remodel and rehabilitation of building (County tax parcel number 04-21-254-335).
- City of Collins - Work on water lines as a result of US Hwy 65 re-grade.
- Colo-Nesco Community School District – Proposed Phase II of playground construction (County tax parcel number 04-21-205-240)
- City of Huxley – Proposed hard surfacing of one-mile of Heart of Iowa Trail from US Highway 69 to Trailridge Park.
- City of Kelley – Construction of new six-inch water main on Hubbel Street.
- City of Maxwell – Installation of curb and gutter along Trotter Blvd.
- City of Nevada – Construction of Clock Tower Center.
- City of Slater – Main Street improvements from Story to Tama Streets.
- City of Zearing – Building renovations at 107 West Main Street.
- Colo-Nesco Community School District – Phase III construction of a community playground and park on three vacant lots located on the corner of N. Center Street and E. Cleveland Street (County tax parcel number 04-21-205-240).
- City of Huxley – Centennial Park playground expansion.
- City of Cambridge – Construction of new multi-functional municipal building.
- City of Slater – Main Street improvements to corner of Main Street and Marshall.
- City of Slater – Acquisition and renovation of 404/406 Main Street.
- City of Story City – South Park project.
- Praeri Rail Trail Extension Planning and Construction.
- Tedesco Environmental Learning Corridor – Phase 1 and Phase 2 at the Iowa State University Research Park - Financing the design, construction and facilitation of certain improvements and other work to serve the Tedesco Environmental Learning Corridor.
- City of Collins – Demolition and revitalization of buildings along Main Street.
- City of Story City – Proposed improvements to North Park Project.
- City of Cambridge – Construction of Cambridge Community Center.
- City of Huxley – All-inclusive playground structure installation at Nord Kalsem Park.
- City of Slater – Decorative sidewalk, parking area replacement and decorative street lighting along Main Street.
- City of Gilbert – Main Street paving and utility reconstruction from Mathews Drive to 545‘ north of 2nd Street
- City of Cambridge - Utility Re-Location
- City of Slater - Main Street Revitalization—north and south side of Main Street from Story Street to Marshall Street
- City of Story City - Proposed improvements: 1) Boulevard Gateway Signage; 2) New benches and trash receptacles; 3) Addition of bike racks; 4) Building lights; 5) History plaques.
- City of Cambridge - Redevelopment of the 1914 Opera House, including the addition of two commercial units on the first floor and three low-cost housing units on the second floor
- City of Maxwell - Water main improvements along Main Street
- City of Nevada - Installation of new digital sign within existing structure of outdoor sign
- City of Roland - Replacement of existing community pool
- City of Story City - Story City Carousel Pavilion Renovation Project
City of Zearing - Construction of permanent restroom structure as development of Minerva Creek Park
- City of Collins - Construction of retention area in southeastern part of town